We are delighted to tell you that the following books have made the shortlist to the first ever Channel Islands Children’s Book Award, in no particular order they are:-
Ella on the Outside by Cath Howe
Sky Song by Abi Elphinstone
Kid Normal by Greg James and Chris Smith
The Explorer by Katherine Rundell
This book award is a real opportunity for the children of the Channel Islands to have a book award they can call their own. Just Great Books Chosen by You!
Who can take part?
- Children who are currently in years 5, 6 and 7 aged between 9-12
- Children who live in any of the Channel Islands
How can you take part?
All schools in the Bailiwick of Guernsey are being offered the opportunity to take part with the support of our SLS librarians. There are three options
- Each class reads one book and then swaps every 3 weeks. This will include an introduction of the books to your children by the SLS librarian and at the end the opportunity to discuss these books again with the SLS librarian which will include an individual vote for their winning book. Or
- Each class reads one book and then the four classes debate, telling each other what their book is about and why it should win. This will include an introduction of the books to your children by the SLS librarian and at the end, the SLS librarian will assist with the debate and again all children will have an individual vote. Or
- A small group of children takes part in a reading group with the SLS librarian (these children need to be able to read well but can be reluctant readers)
To take part please phone 714098 or email email@example.com for more information.
If you are a Jersey school reading this you need to contact Cathy Bithell at Jersey Library on 01534 448700 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
What if your school is not taking part can you still join in?
Yes! All you have to do is read all 4 books and then vote via the Channel Island Children’s Book Award website. There will be a voting form up soon.